More than an estimated billion dollars will be spent on transportation infrastructure improvement in Galveston County over the next decade. This investment will better connect Galveston County to the greater Houston Region.
There will be major improvements to the two main arteries running through the county: I-45 the Gulf Freeway and SH146.
I-45 the Gulf Freeway: NASA 1 to FM1764
This project will expand I-45 from just 6 lanes to 8 lines between NASA 1 in southern Harris County and FM1764 in Texas City.
Construction will be done in three phases
- Section FM518 to FM517 – Letting Date: Oct. 2016
- Section NASA 1 to FM518 – Letting Date: Apr. 2017
- Section FM517 to FM1764 – Letting Date: FY 2018
I-45 the Gulf Freeway: FM1764 to 61st Street
Once construction along I-45 in northern Galveston County is completed, TXDOT plans to move forward with expanding the southern section of I-45 between Texas City and Galveston.
Construction will be done in three phases:
- Section FM1764 to FM519 – Letting Date: FY2019 (est.)
- Section FM519 to George & Cynthia Mitchell Memorial Causeway – Letting Date: FY2020 (est.)
- Section George & Cynthia Mitchell Memorial Causeway to 61st Street – Letting Date: FY2021 (est.)
To accompany the expansion of I-45 the Gulf Freeway between southern Harris County and the City of Galveston, the SH146 corridor between the Port of Houston and Galveston County will be expanded from 2 lanes to 6 lanes.
This massive expansion will greatly increase access between the Port of Houston and southern Galveston County via a limited access highway.
Construction will be done in two phases:
- Section Red Bluff Road (Houston) to FM518 – Letting Date: FY2018 (est.)
- New express bridge over Clear Lake
- Widening of existing Kemah Bridge over Clear Lake
- Section FM518 to FM517 – Letting Date: FY2022 (est.)
Other Transportation Projects
There are numerous other road infrastructures also planned for Galveston County to meet the demand of our growing population and economic growth.
Planned projects include expansions of Highway 3, SH87 (Bolivar Peninsula), FM646, and FM517